How to ace a job interview
Sure, writing a solid resume can increase your chances of getting your dream job, but the job interview is what makes or breaks you. Acing your job interview is definitely the most important thing to do when you are applying to a job. But sometimes, people get extremely nervous during a job interview, or they have no clue whatsoever what they should say and how they should act. Luckily, this article will provide helpful tips for acing a job interview.
Before the interview
- Write a stellar resume: Before you start preparing for a job interview, you need to write an eye-catching resume. When writing a resume, you need to provide all of your past experiences, highlight your skills and knowledge, and show employers why you would make an ideal employee. You should keep your resume short and to the point. Another way to make your resume appealing to read is to use a good font that isn’t too big or small and provide paragraph breaks. Another way to make your resume standout is to proofread.
- Research the company: If you want to ace your job interview, you need to get some facts on the company. You want to show employers that you have a genuine interest in the company, and you also want to be able to answer any possible questions about the company.
Prepare an outfit: Before going to a job interview, you need to prepare your outfit. Clothes might not make a difference in your ability to work, but presenting yourself in a professional manor gives the right impression. When choosing your outfit, it’s best to avoid any revealing clothing. Women shouldn’t expose too much skin, and they should keep their legs, arms and chest covered.
You shouldn’t wear bright clothing; instead, you should wear light neutrals like white and beige. Open toe shoes should not be worn because they are unprofessional. Women should wear a skirt that reaches knee length or tailored pants with a nice blouse and jacket. Men should wear a crisp button-down shirt, tailored pants and a jacket.
- First impression: Grooming yourself for the interview is very important. Men should shave their beard and comb their hair. If you are a man, you need to maintain a modest haircut, which means that hair should be kept short, neat and combed. Women should avoid coloring their hair with bright, un-natural looking colors. In addition, always clean your fingernails before going to your interview. Remember, in order to do well in your interview, you need to make a good first impression.
During your interview
- Speak clearly: Always enunciate your words so they are easier to understand. Speaking clearly is highly important because you want to appear like a confident person. Your voice should be loud, not too loud, and you shouldn’t talk too quickly. Overall, speaking in a firm, confident tone of voice will help you stand out from other applicants.
- Focus on body language: Being aware of your body language is highly important. Even if you feel nervous, you don’t want the employer to know your true feelings. Fidgeting around is one of the biggest mistakes you can make during an interview because it’s a dead giveaway of anxiousness. During your interview, you need to focus on your body language in order to improve your chances of landing the job.
- Don’t be afraid to brag: Sure, being humble is a good thing, but not during an interview. During an interview, you want to stand out from other applicants. Always tell the interviewer about all of the qualities that make you the ideal candidate for the job.
- Ask questions: Asking questions during your interview will help you determine whether the job is right for you, and it can make you seem like a well-rounded individual who has a genuine interest in the job.
- Answer questions: Answering questions is a very important aspect of a job interview, so try to answer questions with confidence and assurance.
After the Interview
- Follow up: Following up is important because it reminds the employer that you are still alive and kicking. If you don’t follow up, you risk being forgotten by the employer and losing the job to another applicant. A great way to follow up after an interview is to send the employer a thank-you letter or card. You can also contact them by phone or email if you don’t hear back from them in a week or two. If you don’t get the job, you should contact the employer and ask them why you didn’t get the job.