A well-written resume leads to countless opportunities. Your resume is your introduction to employers; thus, it will form their first impressions of you as a candidate. As the old saying goes, you only get one chance to make a first impression. So, you must present your best professional self in your resume. If you want some quick assistance, look at our accountant resume sample. Using resume samples is a smart way to ensure that your own document meets hiring managers’ standards. Why? Doing so allows you to take inventory of your own resume and consider more effective ways to package your experiences and information. Even though writing a stellar resume is just the first step, you’ll still need a strong one to move to the next steps of the hiring process. Refer to our accountant resume sample on this page for more help, and read on for some resume writing tips.
Accountant Resume Sample
SummarySeasoned professional accountant with 7 years of experience in recording, examining, and closing tax accounts, accounts receivables and accounts payables. Experienced in leading a team of accountants and finding business solutions through accounting to reform current processes. Motivated both by team and solo work.
- Intuit QuickBooks
- SQL Proficiency
- ATX Total Tax Office
Ernst and Young Accounting Manager
- Lead a team of 6 professional accountants, focused on performance management in various departments, including payroll, accounts receivable, and accounts payable
- Fix variances between forecasted budgets and actual spending each month; work to limit variances by over 15% in 2 months
- Prepare and finalize financial statements and reports to upper management for evaluation
- Review journal entries and accruals as logged by general ledger accountants
WellCare Health Plans Tax Accountant
- Organized tax schedules to ensure timely payment
- Created and incorporated new procedures to combine multiple accounting systems, centralizing the accounting records and increasing accuracy by approximately 20%
- Led the movement from manual to automated systems using Intuit Quickbooks
- Logged tax payments on a bi-weekly basis and ensured accuracy of records
Emory Reads, Site Coordinator, Student Instructor
- Tutored 10 ESL elementary school children to improve literacy and help them with their homework
- Organized interactive activities to help personal growth for the children, such as arts and crafts and story time
- Coordinated with supervisors to create fundraisers to raise money for under-privileged children
Goizueta Consulting Club, Vice President of Marketing
- Created aesthetic flyers for general body meetings and networking events, and pushed out the ads to social media sites, including Facebook and Instagram
- Planned and implemented networking events with top companies such as Deloitte, Bain, CNN, and Macy’s
Emory University, Goizueta Business SchoolBachelor of Business Administration, Accounting, Double Major: Economics Cumulative GPA: 3.7/4.0, Major GPA: 3.8/4.0 Dean’s List Fall 2009 and Spring 2010, Alpha Upsilon Epsilon, Honor Society
University of EconomicsRelevant Courses: Financial Risks, Principles of Auditing and Accounting
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 100 Senior Honorary
- Goizueta Scholar
- Omicron Delta Honor Society
- PBL Business Ethics Competition: 4th Place in Nationals
Write a Professional Resume Now!
Is This a Good Job? Let’s Check.
Does the accountant resume sample demonstrate that she is able to prepare financial records? Yes, it does! Better yet, employers won’t have to scan the entire document to learn this. Instead, our jobseeker used her summary statement to explain that she is a “seasoned professional” who has “7 years of work experience in recording, examining, and closing tax accounts, accounts receivables and accounts payables.” In her work history field, she also mentions her financial reporting in the accountant manager position at Ernst and Young, where she prepares financial statements and reports.
Does the accountant resume sample show the candidate’s proficiency with tax records and payments? Absolutely! Working with taxes is a fundamental responsibility of an accountant, so jobseekers should include their experiences working with taxes. As you can see, our candidate has experience as a tax accountant. Here she explained her work to clarify that she’s proficient in tax records and payments.
Take a look at the work history section. Does the resume show that the account has handled important responsibilities? Affirmative. Each bullet point in the work experience section starts out with a strong action verb. These responsibilities include “lead a team,” “fix variances,” “prepare and finalize financial statements,” “Review journal entries,” and more. Note that she didn’t use phrases like “was involved with,” or “was responsible for.” These great examples don’t stop at the work history section. In the volunteer experience section, this accountant resume sample demonstrates strong actions, from “created aesthetic flyers” to “developed a SWOT analysis” as well.
Look at both the skills section and the work history section. Does this accountant resume sample call attention to the capabilities that accountants need? It does! In the skills section, our sample lists various technical skills that accountants use on the job. That includes Intuit Quickbooks, SQL proficiency, and ATX Total Tax Office. She also showcased other crucial skills in her work experience section as well.
In the education section, does the resume show that she is educated in a relevant field and has the knowledge to be an accountant? You bet it does! Although accountants can get master’s degrees, you can also become an accountant with a bachelor’s. In this case, the resume showcases a bachelor’s in accounting, which is the ideal course of study for this field. This section also lists relevant coursework, including a study abroad opportunity, which shows the candidate’s versatility.
Write a Professional Resume Now!
The Most Important Resume Takeaways
As previously mentioned, a powerful resume is an important first step to getting an incredible job. To write an excellent resume, make sure to follow the best resume writing practices as outlined above: write clearly, with dates and locations, use quantitative data whenever possible to give your experiences measurable potential,and separate your resume into distinct sections. Make sure to highlight the skills and experiences specific to your job titles, and the success you’ve achieved in them. If you’d like more assistance, then don’t hesitate to check out our accountant resume sample and our