While some resume wisdom holds true across most industries, many fields also have additional, specific expectations. The bookkeeping resume advice you read here in conjunction with the sample can help you create a standout document that presents you as a desirable candidate. Understanding what employers want to see on a resume for a bookkeeping position can help you select the right phrasing and information to impress hiring managers.
Bookkeeper Resume Sample
Highly competent certified bookkeeper with 10 years’ experience in a fast-paced retail setting. Motivated learner, quick to master new technologies and identify opportunities for streamlining processes and cutting costs. Top organizational and analytical skills with track record of reducing discrepancies by 10% and effectively managing all aspects of small business financial operation.
- QuickBooks, Paychex, MS Office proficiency
- Accounting techniques
- Accounting and finance data analysis
- Information management
- Organization and project planning
- Acute attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Relevant laws and regulations
- Understanding of business operations and finance
- Conflict resolution and negotiation
Astor Garment Co., Providence, RI
- Manage Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable
- Reconcile bank and credit card transactions
- Process and analyze financial reports
- Review vendor invoices and prepare payments
- Create variance reports
- Work with collections department to solve late payment issues
- Improve financial record-keeping accuracy by over 10% through implementing use of electronic filing system
- Communicate with sales managers to streamline the entering and processing of financial information
- Ensure compliance with reporting requirements
H.G. Corp., Astoria, NY
- Managed financial operations for small business
- Closed entries for annual and monthly financial reports
- Ensured complete inventory at all times
- Increased invoice payment rates by implementing outstanding invoice tracking system
- Resolved vendor and client financial inquiries
- Set up and managed payment plans
- Prepared financial reports and reconciliations
- Processed and reconciled bank transactions, credit card payments, and cash deposits
- Trained administrative assistants and customer service representatives in proper handling of financial records
H.G. Corp., Astoria, NY
- Supervised and trained five-person office team
- Ensured smooth running of day-to-day operations
- Implemented across-the-board use of electronic filing system, cutting costs and man-hours
- Resolved staff complaints and conflicts
- Managed inventory
- Cut inventory costs by 15% through strategic vendor research and negotiation
- Supervised contractors to ensure cleanliness and good repair of office environment
- Analyzed and improved office workflow to reduce error and increase productivity
Queens College, NY
Bookkeeper Certification, 2008
American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers
Write a Professional Resume Now!
Is This a Good Bookkeeper Resume? Let’s Check
It certainly does. Bookkeepers can work in many types of settings, so most employers want to understand the applicant’s specific industry experience. Here, we learn right away that the applicant worked in retail and in small business. Stating so also gives credence to her assertion of having performed supervisory or finance functions bookkeepers with larger companies may not typically assume.
A quick look at the skills section provides a positive answer. The applicant includes relevant computer skills and her familiarity with specialized bookkeeping software. She also includes attention to detail – a vital skill for bookkeepers who must keep a sharp eye out for even minor errors or discrepancies. However, she does not neglect to also list skills employers want to see in applicants for any type of position, such as communication and conflict management.
Of course! The applicant takes care to showcase her professional skills and accomplishments throughout each section of her resume. Her summary informs employers of her professional certification. She also emphasizes her ability and willingness to learn new skills. Her work experience includes a wide range of bookkeeping tasks, including handling accounts payable and receivable, reconciling transactions, and analyzing financial data.
As you can see from the education section, the writer of this bookkeeping resume states she has a degree in finance, a relevant field where coursework typically covers many subjects applicable to working as a bookkeeper. She also includes a professional bookkeeping certification, demonstrating particular motivation to succeed in this area. Many employers looking for bookkeepers do consider applicants with degrees in other fields, so long as they can show they possess the required knowledge. An applicant may list relevant coursework or additional training. Experienced bookkeepers generally focus on work experience over educational background.
Because the applicant uses a standard layout and a professional font of legible size, potential employers can focus on the resume’s substance without interference from a distracting format. Separating her resume sections with headers and spacing helps the writer create a natural transition between different information types. Bullet points in the skills and work experience sections set off each small packet of information and streamline the visual effect.