The resume sample provided here is a convenient reference to use. It offers a solid example of a winning resume that is sure to grab a hiring manager's attention. You can refer to it as you work on your own for tips and help in knowing what to include and how to craft it. Be sure to refer to the sample resume and the writing tips below as you get started.
CPA Resume Sample
Qualified and experienced CPA with skills in creating financial systems and controls to maximize business functions. Skilled in implementing best practices and automating systems to reduce costs and improve overall accounting department output. Excellent ability to create and meet goals to ensure lasting fiscal performance, reduce waste, and maintain a high level of quality in work.
- Expert knowledge of GAAP
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Solid ability to research and solve problems
- Excellent skills in communication
- Ability to lead a team towards mutual goals
- Clear knowledge of business operations
- Knowledge of federal and state accounting laws and regulations
- Skilled in various accounting software programs
Lovingfield, Inc., Bodertown, OH
- Lead accounting department towards fiscal goals
- Set goals and determine the correct financial path which will best benefit the company
- Create financial documents and maintain financial records
- Conduct monthly meetings with staff to ensure productivity
- Meet with executives to discuss needs and necessary actions in the accounting department
- Follow all legal requirements and regulations
- Developed system to help reduce waste in the department by 20%
Lovingfield, Inc., Bodertown, OH
- Reconciled bank statements
- Gathered financial information and documentation for CPAs
- Created initial financial statements for review by CPAs
- Worked under the guidance of CPA to conduct assigned tasks
- Kept computer filing system in order
- Created a new filing system to improve efficiency and reduce errors, which saved $10,000 in the first quarter of implementation
Lovingfield, Inc., Boardertown, OH
- Opened and distributed mail for the accounting department
- Filed paper documents after scanning and entering them into computer filing program
- Answered phone and directed calls
- Greeted visitors to the office
- Distributed memos from the department head
- Kept front office and breakroom clean
- Suggested new front office set up to create a better flow to the office
- Created office monthly newsletter to inform the department of changes, news, and other helpful information
Bachelor of Science in Accounting, 2006
The Ohio State University, Columbus
Accounting and Business Course, 2000
Valley View Technical Center, Mainville
Write a Professional Resume Now!
Is This a Good CPA Resume? Let’s Check
As you can see, the CPA resume sample mentions various times in the summary, skills, and work section different points that bring attention to the exceptional knowledge the applicant possesses. The education section also stresses the training he has had in this area to further back up everything else in the resume.
Basic resume good writing practices dictate a resume must be easy to read because hiring managers value their time. They do not want to have to search for information in a resume. It should be organized in a way that is scannable. The CPA resume sample follows a clear organizational structure. It makes use of bullet points and clear section headings to make it simple to scan for needed information.
The applicant does clearly outline his rise from an accounting clerk to a CPA. He gives a great overview of each position to bring attention to how he built his skills and what job duties he has handled. This enables a hiring manager to see he has worked his way up the ladder and built a solid foundation of knowledge and skills in accounting through experience.
It is becoming more important to companies that their CPAs have business knowledge. Being well-rounded is an asset. The applicant shows in this CPA resume sample he is focused on business and how accounting works into the overall business goals. He mentions his business knowledge and skills in the summary so the hiring manager sees right away he is business-minded. His business knowledge is further backed up by the skills, work experience, and education sections.
Throughout the work experience section, the applicant states several times different instances of how he benefited the company. A hiring manager is looking for someone who can do the job but he or she also wants to find applicants who will become an asset to the business. Through this CPA resume sample, the applicant clearly shows he has a commitment to going beyond his general accounting duties to find ways to provide benefits to the company he works for.