You can read through the resume sample here to gather ideas or even use it as a base to build your own. Either way, it enables you to see what a solid resume should look like. The example gives you specific assistance with what makes an external auditor resume stand out, so refer to it often as you work. Don't forget to also read through the resume writing tips to get additional assistance as you begin to craft your own resume.
External Auditor Resume Sample
Auditor with over 15 years of experience working with various sized businesses to maintain financial compliance. Expert at spotting issues and fraud quickly and creating workable solutions to ensure problems do not come up again in the future. Demonstrated ability to assist a business with reaching goals and improving functions to avoid regulatory issues while also maintaining neutrality.
- Knowledge of GAAP and financial regulations
- Communication and consulting
- Reporting and analysis
- Goal setting and risk management
- Ability to maintain neutral stance and objectivity
- Attention to detail
- Committed to meeting deadlines
- Team work
- Expert in identifying fraudulent activities
Verge Industries, New York, NY
- Consulted with the board of directors to set goals and plan for audit
- Created auditing team to conduct a complete audit by assigning duties and laying out the auditing plan
- Identified risks and created suggested steps to reduce those risks
- Introduced new practices to enable the company to avoid risks in the future
- Helped to design controls and implement them through working with department heads
- Created report of findings, including suspected cases of fraud or regulation violations, along with solutions to fix them
- Changes implemented based off reports generated a savings of $500,000 in fines
Bailey Auditors, Upperville, NY
- Worked with teams to run audits on assigned companies
- Reported to head auditor any findings
- Conducted reviews of financial documents and accounts
- Created findings reports to communicate issues, suspected fraud, and other important information to help the company improve financial controls
- Suggested changes to help five different companies save a total of $1.3 million
Smith & Cantor CPAs, Townburg, NY
- Created financial documents for clients
- Reviewed clients' financial statements and information
- Looked for potential savings and errors in business accounting practices
- Developed a system for identifying and recognizing fraud for junior accountants
- Awarded customer favorite award for three years
- Saved clients over $3 million in fines, bad practices, and internal savings measures
Certified Fraud Examiner, Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
Master of Business Administration in Accounting, 2014
New York School of Business, New York, NY
Bachelor of Business Administration, 2007
New York School of Business, New York, NY
Write a Professional Resume Now!
Is This a Good External Auditor Resume? Let’s Check
Auditing requires a solid knowledge of accounting and accounting practices. As an applicant for an external auditor position, you must show you have the necessary skills. In the external auditor resume sample, it is made clear in the skills and education section that the applicant is an experienced accountant with certification. This leaves no room for the hiring manager to question her skills.
Because a hiring manager's time is limited, it is essential that you grab his or her attention right away and present your resume in an easy-to-read format where everything is spelled out. As you can see in the external auditor resume sample, this was done through clear section headers that tell exactly what each section will cover. Bullet points and lists were used to make for a simpler format than paragraphs. Entries in each section were kept basic and short, as well.
A major part of an auditor's job is to spot fraudulent activity and put a stop to it to help prevent the company from getting fined or coming under legal scrutiny. The applicant in the sample resume ensured that she plainly explained her experience with spotting and handling fraud, so the hiring manager will know that the applicant has the right experience.
In the external auditor resume sample, the applicant explains in the skills and work experience sections her ability to work in teams. She shows through past work experience how she has managed teams and used them to help with the auditing for companies. Team work in this job is essential because rarely can one person alone handle the job effectively.
Working as an auditor requires a strong background in accounting and a firm understanding of accounting and business practices. Throughout each section of the external auditor resume sample, the applicant outlines skills, past experiences, and education that has shaped her abilities and provided her with everything she needs to serve as a competent auditor, including being a CPA, working for various companies conducting audits, and having a solid understanding of regulations and GAAP.