A great way to improve your existing resume is to start with a strong example, such as our hair stylist resume sample. Use our sample as a guide for the creation of your own resume or as a measure against which you can compare your existing resume. You may find areas to strengthen or catch mistakes that you didn’t even know you were making. After using our sample to get started, you may want to take a look at some industry-specific writing tips for even more improvement.
Hair Stylist Resume Sample
• Multi-certified hair stylist with cosmetology background and excellence in hair artistry
• Over nine years of experience and hundreds of satisfied clients with a solid foundation of return customers
• Balance of excellent customer-relation skills, creative talents, and business acumen
Skills and Qualifications
- Experienced in hair coloring techniques, including balayage, ombre, and sombre methods
- Well-versed in a variety of hair styling techniques: straightening, smoothing, relaxing, and Carve and Slice curl cutting
- Superior customer service and communication skills
- Excellent organization and record-keeping skills
- Maintenance of supplies, such as shampoos, treatments, chemicals, and herbs for hair care
- Focused on maintaining a clean work space
Short Cuts by the Bridge
Jersey City, NJ
- Welcome clients to salon, take preliminary information, discuss individual hair care needs, and assign clients to available hair stylist
- Complete specialized coloring, cutting, and styling services for personal clients
- Sell retail hair care and related products
- Supervise team of four to six hair stylists, working out schedules, resolving conflicts, and ensuring appropriate credentials
- Provided training to 24 new hires over the course of about three years
- Introduced new theme and styling equipment to salon to attract younger clientele while maintaining existing clientele
City Curls and Cuts
Jersey City, NJ
- Demonstrated a variety of new hair style techniques for special occasions, such as weddings and Halloween
- Trimmed and styled hair for clients of all ages and style backgrounds
- Sanitized style equipment and work station in accordance with legal and salon guidelines
- Created repeat business by improving customer relations and resolving client concerns, increasing number of haircuts by 19%
- Shared proper hair care tips with clients
- Mentored two junior hair stylists
LaMosa Hair Salon
- Shampooed, conditioned, dried, and styled client hair, using techniques such as straightening, waving, and tinting
- Provided scalp conditioning massage and suggested hair care products to clients with service-to-sales ratio of 14%
- Handled scheduling and online booking for over 250 clients
- Restocked workstations and informed lead stylist of inventory deficiencies
- Sorted catalogues and re-ordered expiring publications, removing older copies and restocking shelves with current copies
Bayonne Cosmetology School, 2012
Elizabeth Community High School, 2008
Elizabeth, New Jersey
Write a Professional Resume Now!
Is This a Good Hair Stylist Resume? Let’s Check
Rather than listing every work experience the jobseeker has ever held, this hair stylist resume sample focuses on those experiences relevant to the open position. The resume starts out with a statement to immediately excite hiring managers about this candidate: Multi-certified hair stylist with cosmetology background and excellence in hair artistry.
The applicant’s contact information appears first, closely followed by a well-written summary statement. Using a bullet-point format, the hair stylist from our resume sample draws attention to more than nine years of experience and a range of hair cutting, coloring, and styling skills. The writer includes references to skills in customer service and business. All of this appears in the first third of the resume. Below that, work experience and education experiences appear in reverse chronological order.
The writer includes figures to create a clear picture of valuable abilities. For example, the applicant trained 24 new hires within three years and had a service-to-sales ratio of 14%. Other instances of using measurable facts include “supervise team of four to six hair stylists” and “increasing number of haircuts by 19%.” With these and other metrics in the hair stylist resume sample, potential employers gain a picture of an applicant with many valuable qualities.
The writer behind this resume sample used over 17 descriptive action verbs to illustrate valuable skills. Many skills are essential to hair styling, and this resume packs in quite a few, using each section to great effect. The writer lists essential skills such as cutting, trimming, styling, straightening, shampooing, coloring, and tinting. The writer of the resume sample includes examples of business expertise and customer service with the same focus.
Each section of this resume showcases examples of how the applicant used specific talents in each previous position. Bullet points draw attention to significant accomplishments and a wide range of skills.