Not sure why you should reference a sample resume? Using an example can completely transform how you think about your experience. Often you don’t consider the achievements inherent in your daily job because it’s just what you do and doesn’t seem extraordinary to you. What’s ordinary to you can be amazing to a potential employer when you rethink your experience in terms of what you’ve accomplished and your positive impact on the organization. Take a look at how we’ve implemented this mindset and created an excellent sample.
Head of Procurement Resume Sample
Los Angeles, CA 11111 • [email protected] • 555-289-1984
Seasoned senior leader in procurement management with more than 12 years of experience shaping policy, strategy, and governance for hospital supply services. Excellent leadership capabilities, leveraged to develop clear plans governing supply chain and on-time delivery for critical medical supplies and inventory serving multi-site healthcare systems. Renowned for delivering high-volume cost savings system-wide by negotiating exceptional supply chain and logistics contracts and terms.
- Purchasing and procurement leadership
- Strategic planning
- Supply chain management
- On-time and Just-In-Time (JIT) delivery
- Vendor sourcing
- Contract negotiation
- Inventory control
- Team building and leadership
Pacific Health Systems, Los Angeles, CA
- Act as central point of leadership for supply management for all departments in a healthcare system with 11 hospitals throughout Los Angeles
- Build a holistic multi-sourced supply chain strategy, meeting the needs of diverse medical practices
- Establish schedules for procurement and delivery for each location
- Negotiate vendor contracts, bulk agreements, and SLAs to ensure vendors meet metrics for cost, quality, and on-time delivery
- Regularly meet with department heads to gather feedback on stock performance and utilization
- Recruit, train, and mentor purchasing agents tasked with monitoring individual site procurement
- Drive an ongoing focus on continuous improvement, process optimization, and cost control
- Saved $2 million annually by sourcing an alternative vendor for sterile gloves and masks
- Cut 3 days from the delivery cycle for disposable surgical tools by in-shoring supply from China to a local Los Angeles company
Vineyard Hospital at Main, Los Angeles, CA
- Stepped in to introduce previously nonexistent procurement strategies for a 300-bed treatment center
- Managed a team of 3 procurement specialists and 2 purchasing analysts
- Cut $32 million from the cost of large-scale CT equipment through adroit negotiations
- Uncovered and recovered $1.7 million in overbillings for disposable surgical smocks
Mercy Sisters Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- Developed and implemented procurement strategy for a 200-bed inpatient/outpatient center
- Established core procurement strategies to maintain continuous cost-effective supply
- Improved patient satisfaction 32% by sourcing more comfortable, cost-effective hospital gowns
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
Bachelor in Contract Management and Procurement, 2002
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
Certified Supply Chain Professional (CSCP), 2006
Certified Professional in Supply Management (CPSM), 2005
Write a Professional Resume Now!
Is This a Good Head of Procurement Resume? Let’s Check
It certainly is. Procurement can mean many different things in different organizations and industries; in retail, procurement can overlap with merchandising, while in manufacturing and industry, procurement often concerns raw materials. It’s important to differentiate, when duties can differ so much with the same job title. In our example resume we used a middle-ground example focused on supply procurement for a health system, involved in sourcing, securing, and transporting ready-made products in a high-demand environment requiring large volumes of often-disposable supplies at effective price points and with reasonable delivery times.
In multiple ways! From the summary through the resume itself, our head of procurement resume sample covers several key points of leadership. Those points include high-level strategic planning for multi-site locations, as well as meeting with department heads, leading negotiations with vendors, and managing teams. Each of these points is critical in demonstrating leadership value.
Keywords are absolutely critical to a resume’s success. Using keywords throughout your resume can improve your chances of passing automated text scanners, and our sample resume weaves them in throughout the summary, skills section, and work experience. For example, the summary covers phrases such as procurement management and on-time delivery, while the skills section expands further with Just-In-Time delivery, logistics, and supply chain management. The work experience shows these skills in context when discussing contract negotiation, scheduling, and logistics planning, ensuring a strong keyword match percentage.
Take a look at the sample resume again. The numbers really jump out at you, catching your eye and making a stronger impression than just words. From $2 million saved to a $32 million cost negotiation, these numbers say that the jobseeker in our head of procurement resume sample has made outstanding contributions that set her apart from others with a less stellar track record. Using metrics in your resume lets you quantify your accomplishments and provide demonstrable proof of your capabilities.
The ideal resume should cover the last 10–15 years of your career. For leadership resumes, it’s best when those 10–15 years can convey a solid breadth of management experience. When that management experience shows progression into higher-level roles, it serves as a great representation of a strong history of leadership expertise.