Your resume is your introduction to the employer. You want to set a competent, professional tone as well as have a bit of interest that will set you apart from the pack. Our resume sample shows you how to create a document that will represent you well and catch the eye of potential employers to give you an advantage over your competition.
Hardware Engineer Resume Sample
Innovative hardware engineer with experience in the design and development of computer systems, especially high-performance microprocessor based embedded hardware systems. Excel at design documentation, implementation, and qualification testing of hardware components. Outstanding collaborative partner with proven record of proactive problem-solving.
- Proficient in OrCAD/Allegro and scripting in Python
- In-depth knowledge of FPGA design, validation, and verification
- Ability to obtain and keep all levels of security clearances
- Expertise in solving problems creatively and debugging hardware
- Excellent understanding of intel CPU architecture
- Experience in project leadership and hardware design
- Working knowledge of Mandarin Chinese
Hardware Engineer, March 2014 – present
- Test computer system components and prototypes using simulation software
- Analyze, interpret, and write up test results for company review
- Ensure all equipment meets specifications and safety parameters
- Interpret design requirements, make suggestions to design team, supervise implementation of design criteria
- Participate in peer design reviews
- Test and certify new hardware that increased server efficiency by 13%
Hardware Engineer, January 2010 – February 2014
- Designed systems with latest buses and memory interfaces
- Performed verification and validation on FPGA design
- Worked projects from initial design through implementation, testing, and product support
- Designed high-speed digital circuits for manufacturability
- Received commendation from the U.S. Air Force for work on enterprise-class server
- Documented all hardware development specifications and maintained records
Level 1 Hardware Engineer, July 2007 – December 2009
- Provided technical support to design department upon request
- Supervised hardware performance in collaboration with engineering department
- Worked with senior staff to develop components for CPU integrated circuits
- Performed debugging and troubleshooting for clients
- Used engineering schematics to prepare prototype models
- Assisted in the design of a System-on-Chip that resulted in an industry award for outstanding innovation
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, IL
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science – 2007
Minor in Business Technology
University of Maryland at College Park, MD
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
• Computing Research Association
• The Association of Computer Engineers and Technicians
Write a Professional Resume Now!
Is This a Good Accounting Clerk Resume? Let’s Check
In the candidate’s first job, he assisted in the design of a System-on-Chip. In his second job, he designed high-speed digital circuits. In his most recent job, he supervised a design team. This not only shows a great background in design, it also tells prospective employers that his skill level and responsibilities grew with each subsequent job.
Is there anything to set the candidate apart?
Yes. This candidate has the skills an employer would expect to see, such as knowledge of software programs and CPU architecture. However, this resume also includes two skills that are a little more unusual, and therefore noteworthy. The first is the ability to obtain security clearances. The industries that hire hardware engineers commonly work on military contracts, and security clearances are mandatory for those jobs. Prospective employers now know that this candidate is eligible for security assignments. The candidate also lists a working knowledge of Mandarin Chinese. China has become a competitive player in the technology industry, and this particular skill may appeal to employers with eyes on expansion.
This hardware engineer resume sample gives many indications that the candidate is a tenacious problem-solver. The Summary mentions pro-active problem-solving and a willingness to collaborate. This is a nice touch as many computing problems require multiple departments working together to find a solution. The candidate’s first job also involved debugging and troubleshooting, so he clearly has ample experience in correcting computer systems.
This candidate has two different degrees that, together, make him particularly qualified for a hardware engineer position. His Bachelor is in computer science, which is, of course, a solid background for a job in building computer systems. The minor in business technology is a nice touch as it indicates he had some classes about product development, marketing, and so on. The master degree in electrical engineering shows a knowledge of system design. The whole package paints a compelling picture of a well-rounded candidate.
Does it look professional?
This is a classy, elegant resume that sends the right message to a hiring manager. The writer clearly outlined the sections. He keeps the statements short, concise, and enumerated with bullet points. The language is professional yet comprehensible and the tone indicates this candidate is ready and excited to work.