Submitting a well-composed resume can do just that. Rather than give employers a simple laundry list of your professional experience, your resume should detail how you can add value to their organizations. The mechanical engineer resume sample shown here gives you an example of such a document. With the writing guidelines that accompany the resume sample, you will be able to personalize and optimize your resume’s content in a way that makes it more meaningful to hiring managers. Having such an advantage can help put you that much closer to landing a coveted position.
Mechanical Engineer Resume Sample
Tucson, AZ 11111 • [email protected] • 555-333-3333
Professional mechanical engineer with eight years of experience in research, design, and development. Recognized for ability to spot performance inefficiencies during planning phase that allow for faster project completion times and decreased need for re-engineering during development and implementation. Working knowledge of advanced engineering principles and industry best practices coupled with strong work ethic and desire to succeed makes for a strong skill set that can benefit any organization.
- Strong understanding of both ASME and ISO standards
- Expert knowledge of applied mechanics and production technology principles and their practical applications
- Adept and performing root cause analysis and process validation
- Experienced in process management and multi-project coordination
- Familiar with statistical analysis and predictive modeling software programs, as well as data retrieval and management tools
- Outstanding communication and writing skills
- Organized with a meticulous attention to detail
Express Automotive Industries
- Serve as a member of four-person R&D team assigned to evaluate performance testing results in order to identify and improve upon inefficiencies with internal combustion engine components
- Coordinate with safety engineers to set up and run engine tests, comparing individual runs to established baseline standards
- Study industry publications, scientific journals, and press releases to develop an understanding of current industry standards and new technological advances
- Work with engine designers to develop component prototypes in preparation for stress testing
- Consult with other R&D analysts to determine what modifications to other component systems will best accommodate new engine designs
- Received recognition for having met standard of 10% performance improvement during each year of tenure
- Participate in R&D program recognized as being the industry leaders by Motor Trend magazine in 2016
Eagle Aviation, Inc.
- Conducted stress testing on CFM56 turbofan engines, performing static, fatigue, and fracture analysis
- Recommended changes to engine component systems based off test analysis
- Maintained research database and pulled reports using structured query language
- Served as team lead on two different engine redesign projects
- Received recognition for being member of team credited with contributing to development of new CFM high-pressure compressor in 2008
University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
Bachelor of Science in Statistics – 2007
Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ
Write a Professional Resume Now!
Is This a Good Mechanical Engineer Resume? Let’s Check
You already know that a majority of those applying for positions as mechanical engineers will likely share the same skill set. Thus, recruiters may feel as though they are reading the same resume over and over. In the statement shown in the mechanical engineer resume sample, the applicant lists unique skills that serve to differentiate himself from others (e.g., being adept at spotting performance inefficiencies) and frames them in a way that offers distinct benefits to an employer.
Mechanical engineers measure the performance of the component systems of engines, motors, and other propulsion or motion-generating devices. They need to have an understanding of data collection processes along with a well-developed attention to detail. Notice how in the mechanical engineer resume sample, the jobseeker lists a familiarity with statistical analysis and predictive modeling software programs among his skill set, as well as being meticulous. This indicates that he does have the skills needed to perform the functions that come with the job, even if there will be an acclimation period for him to pick up its subtle nuances.
Some may view being well-rounded as an added benefit that you may bring to a position as opposed to a baseline requirement. However, mechanical engineers are often placed in the position of having to coordinate their work with other departments and individuals. The applicant describes coordinating with others in his work experience, as well as being a team lead. This implies that he does indeed possess good leadership traits and communication skills on top of his technical expertise.
In all, the applicant lists eight years of professional experience in the mechanical engineer resume sample. However, in that time, he shows that he accumulated experience in performance monitoring, research and development, system testing, data collection and analysis, utilizing computer-aided analytical tools, and liaising with external parties. Each of these are general requirements to fulfill the role of mechanical engineer. Even in listing limited experience, the applicant still appears qualified.
You probably noticed how the applicant only listed general information about his schooling in the mechanical engineer resume sample. A good majority of mechanical engineer positions will require a bachelor’s degree at minimum, with many employers preferring applicants with a graduate degree. The jobseeker shows that he meets both of those preferences.