By reading sample documents, you can obtain a better understanding of the formatting hiring managers expect to see. There is a standard format employers desire, and the formatting should help them better read your application. Sample resumes also give you a good idea of what kind of information is beneficial to include on specific types of resumes in specific industries. Use our resume sample and the tips that follow to influence your writing.
Lawyer Resume Sample
Long Beach, CA • [email protected] • 555-555-8338
Innovative lawyer who has a background in family and criminal law. Thrives in a dynamic environment and has experience defending clients in courtrooms. Proven background in winning cases and putting in sufficient research to assist clients from a wide range of backgrounds.
- Contract negotiation
- Knowledgeable of scanners and photocopiers
- Familiarity with project management and data mining software
- Knowledge of government and law
- Strong leader
- Complex problem-solving skills
- Great public speaker
- Patent and trademark licensing
2012 – Present
- Represent over 200 clients in the course of employment, winning over 95% of cases, most of them dealing with criminal law
- Consult with clients regarding the possible outcomes of a case, and advise them with claim liability and business transactions
- Present evidence in a courtroom to prosecute defendants and defend clients
- Summarize cases for juries and judges, providing a basic overview of the type of evidence that will come into play
- Negotiate settlements for civil disputes, often winning a sufficient amount for clients to cover medical expenses as well as pain and suffering
- Prepare a variety of legal documents, including patent applications, deeds, and wills, on behalf of clients
- Remain up-to-date with changes in the law, often conferring with lawmakers to obtain more details about a proposed piece of legislation
Legal Assistant – Drake Law Firm
2009 – 2012
- Assisted 24 lawyers at the firm with a wide range of tasks, such as appraising inventory, arbitrating disputes, and filing pleadings
- Met with clients in person to obtain preliminary information before attorneys became involved
- Found and spoke with witnesses before they took the stand to review statements
- Gathered research data to determine likelihood of attorneys winning a case
- Investigated facts related to cases, such as going to the library to obtain public records
- Directed law office activities, including the delivery of subpoenas
- Organized exhibits to display on trials and was a part of over 100 successful lawsuits for clients the law firm represented
University of Southern California
Bachelor’s degree in political science – 2008
Cal State Long Beach
Graduated magna cum laude
Write a Professional Resume Now!
Is This a Good Lawyer Resume? Let’s Check
Yes, it does. Lawyers need to have a graduate degree to practice the law. Additionally, they need to pass the bar exam in their state. Employers will verify with the state board to determine whether you passed the bar, but you should state on your resume where you received your graduate degree from. It makes things immensely easier on the hiring manager if everything is right there on the page.
The work history section does indeed show how the candidate worked in a courtroom in the past. She has handled important responsibilities, and the candidate takes it a step further by mentioning her success rate. You should have a proven track record of success when applying for attorney positions.
When you read a lawyer job description, there should be information related to what field of law the firm primarily handles. Some mostly handle criminal law while others handle bankruptcies and so on and so forth. You should customize your resume to whatever hiring managers want to see. Naturally, you should never lie and mention how proficient you are with a certain field if you have never worked in it before. However, you should emphasize the most prominent fields a firm handles.
When most people think of lawyers, they think of being inside a courtroom defending clients. However, most of the time, lawyers spend a lot of time at their desks researching or filling out paperwork. You want to make it clear from your resume you are not afraid to handle the less glamorous aspects of the job. Show you can do anything.
Most resumes need to be less than one page in length, but some professionals can get away with having slightly longer applications; lawyers are definitely considered among such professions. This resume would likely require two pages, but that is alright. Ultimately, you just want to make sure your resume is long enough to convey all pertinent information about yourself as an employee.