Counselors work with individuals and groups to effect positive change. In order to land a counseling position, your resume should indicate that you possess the abilities, character traits, and training necessary to succeed. Prepare a summary statement and list skills that reflect the requirements of a counselor position. You should also describe any relevant experience and your educational background.
We provide resume writing best practices and an extensive collection of counselor resume templates. Browse these real-world samples for inspiration to write a better resume or personalize one of these layouts to present yourself as a more polished and professional candidate.
Free Community And Public Service Resume Templates for Industry Professionals
Browse templates and job-specific examples of professional community and public service resumes.
How To Mention Your Counselor Experience
The strongest candidates for counselor positions usually have relevant experience. Describe your background and work history in the same terms an employer uses to describe a counseling role in a job description. The words and phrases you choose may significantly impact your professional prospects. Refer to the experience sections on our counselor resume templates and the following sample duties for this career.
• Counsel clients or patients individually or in groups to promote the agenda of a facility or organization
• Perform objective assessments to determine the best approaches for counseling and providing care and support
• Use verbal communication skills to obtain information and recommend paths of action to achieve positive outcomes
• Act as an advocate for clients who may benefit from other services and public or private programs
• Build relationships with clients or patients, and observe developments over time to adjust or refine methods
Counselor Resume Tips
There are several steps you can take to write a better resume for a counselor position. Look over our counselor resume templates and follow these tips to improve the quality of your own document. Every section of your resume should respond to the requirements of the counselor position you want.
1. Personalize Your Counselor Resume: Don’t submit the same resume to every job opening. Make sure that at least the professional summary and skills section of your resume reflect the priorities of a particular employer.
2. Write a Powerful Summary Statement: Hiring managers and recruiters skim each resume for about six seconds before deciding whether an applicant could be right for a job. Show off your qualifications near the top of the page.
3. Use Specific Examples and Experiences: Aim to be as specific as you can when describing your skills and past achievements and responsibilities in your work history. Back up your claims with relevant metrics or statistics.
Counselor Resume Templates
Improve the quality of your resume by comparing your draft with real-world resumes for the same type of position. Reference our counselor resume templates to make sure you include the major sections and information employers expect. You can also build a resume on our partner site, My Perfect Resume.
- Counselor Example 1
Mortgage Loan Officer, 1995 – present US Bank, Colorado Springs, CO, USA – Evaluate clients’ income, assets and credit to determine appropriate mortgage financing options available to them. – Maintain an advanc... more 2
- Counselor Example 2
Jordan Honeycutt Skills Shift Leader, Leading by example and making sure the store runs smoothly and effectively , 1 year years Management Skills, Handling Customer Service issues, Scheduling, Training of new employees, Counting and handling of... more 3
- Counselor Example 3
Universal Banker (01/25/2010 – Present)US Bank, Hopkinsville, KY, United States Worked within communities to detect and bring new business. Set up and supported relationships with customers providing constant assistance. Control... more 4
- Counselor Example 4
Performance Operations Support Associate 3 (February 2013 – Present)U.S. Bank Home Mortgage, Bedford, Ohio, United States Collaborate with State Housing Agencies on mortgagor/client accounts to enforce stipulations of mortgage a... more 5
- Counselor Example 5
Bartender/Cocktail Waitress – ( 03/05-01/08 – 05/ Present) Club 51/ Club 10, Navarre, FL (USA) * Maintained updated knowledge of all specials, liquor brands, beers and non-alcoholic selections. * Expertly prepared both alc... more 6
- Counselor Example 6
Volunteer – Bethel Christian Reformed Church (2016/Current day) Brockville, Ontario (Canada) I volunteer at my church as a nursery attendent. I also help prepare coffee and refreshments for the congregation. I am also a teacher a... more 7
- Counselor Example 7
Support Systems, San Jose, California (United States) Assistant Manager, 09.15.14 – Current Guided and advised clients to get a better understanding of themselves to make the proper changes to finish with stressful situations and ... more 8
- Counselor Example 8
HR Coordinator (Aug-2006 – May 2007) IIPM, Hyderabad, Telangana, India Duties and Responsibilities 1. Was part of “Train and Hire”prog to shortlist candidates for “Dell International”. 2. Used my judgeme... more 9
- Counselor Example 9
Vice President of Lending – ( June 2012 – present) Athens Federal Community Bank, Athens, Tennessee (USA) Perform all facets of the lending function including originating and underwriting consumer loans, secondary market mo... more 10
- Counselor Example 10
Sales Coodinator – Wholesale Channel, Apr. 2015 – Present Pacific Union Financial, Santa Ana, CA * Provide training and support to our Brokers throughout the complete loan process. * Work with all roles to ensure turn times a... more