Counselors work with individuals and groups to effect positive change. In order to land a counseling position, your resume should indicate that you possess the abilities, character traits, and training necessary to succeed. Prepare a summary statement and list skills that reflect the requirements of a counselor position. You should also describe any relevant experience and your educational background.
We provide resume writing best practices and an extensive collection of counselor resume templates. Browse these real-world samples for inspiration to write a better resume or personalize one of these layouts to present yourself as a more polished and professional candidate.
Free Community And Public Service Resume Templates for Industry Professionals
Browse templates and job-specific examples of professional community and public service resumes.
How To Mention Your Counselor Experience
The strongest candidates for counselor positions usually have relevant experience. Describe your background and work history in the same terms an employer uses to describe a counseling role in a job description. The words and phrases you choose may significantly impact your professional prospects. Refer to the experience sections on our counselor resume templates and the following sample duties for this career.
• Counsel clients or patients individually or in groups to promote the agenda of a facility or organization
• Perform objective assessments to determine the best approaches for counseling and providing care and support
• Use verbal communication skills to obtain information and recommend paths of action to achieve positive outcomes
• Act as an advocate for clients who may benefit from other services and public or private programs
• Build relationships with clients or patients, and observe developments over time to adjust or refine methods
Counselor Resume Tips
There are several steps you can take to write a better resume for a counselor position. Look over our counselor resume templates and follow these tips to improve the quality of your own document. Every section of your resume should respond to the requirements of the counselor position you want.
1. Personalize Your Counselor Resume: Don’t submit the same resume to every job opening. Make sure that at least the professional summary and skills section of your resume reflect the priorities of a particular employer.
2. Write a Powerful Summary Statement: Hiring managers and recruiters skim each resume for about six seconds before deciding whether an applicant could be right for a job. Show off your qualifications near the top of the page.
3. Use Specific Examples and Experiences: Aim to be as specific as you can when describing your skills and past achievements and responsibilities in your work history. Back up your claims with relevant metrics or statistics.
Counselor Resume Templates
Improve the quality of your resume by comparing your draft with real-world resumes for the same type of position. Reference our counselor resume templates to make sure you include the major sections and information employers expect. You can also build a resume on our partner site, My Perfect Resume.
- Counselor Example 11
Megan Hawkins Education and TrainingLee – 2012 Lee, Missouri, United States General, General High School DiplomaExtra-curricular activities Concert Orchestra (2008-2009) Symphony Orchestra (2009-2012) LSN Swim and Dive Team (2009)... more 12
- Counselor Example 12
Regional Loan Officer, July 1999 – Current GenFed Finanacial Credit Union, Lorain, Ohio Developed and analyzed data to value the current and future financial situation of clients and companies. Evaluated collection reports and outs... more 13
- Counselor Example 13
At Home Phone Agent – ( August 2014 – present) Shop HQ, Bowling Green, Ky Take phone orders at home. This is a part-time job.Full-time Mortgage Closer – ( April 1995 – August 2014) South Central Bank, Glas... more 14
- Counselor Example 14
Home Loan lender , Feb 2010 – Current Bank SA ( BSA, SGB and BOM), Adelaide, SA, Australia ##DESCRIPTION##Home Loan Assessor , Feb 2008 – Feb 2010 Westpac Banking Corp, Adelaid, SA, Australia * Approved and denied mortga... more 15
- Counselor Example 15
xriti ObjectiveBeing part of the Peace Revolution is very much in line with my life goals as well, and it continues to be a rewarding experience to be part of this community.EducationVivek Anand High School, 2006 Pathankot , Punjab, Ind... more 16
- Counselor Example 16
NEW ACCOUNTS (September 2011 – PRESENT) PHILIPPINE SAVINGS BANK, , , -Entertain client queries; provide information on Bank products and services to clients. -Process opening of new accounts and ensure compliance to the existing... more 17
- Counselor Example 17
DISBURESMENT EXCUTIVE (MAR 2015 – MAR 2016)HDFC BANK (ADFC PVT LD), CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA PERSONAL LOAN AND SCANINGDISBUSMNT EXCUTIVE (MAR2016 – MAR 2017)RBL BANK LTD ( VEERRA RAGAVAN AND CO), CHENNAI, TAMIL NAD... more 18
- Counselor Example 18
xley nier Work history Winn-Dixie, Perry, Florida Cashier, October 2009 – July 2010 Greet customers entering establishments. Receive payment by cash, check, credit cards, vouchers, or automatic debits. Count money in cash drawers at ... more 19
- Counselor Example 19
PLTW Engineering and Mathematics Teacher – ( August 2010 – Present) Galveston ISD, Galveston, TX (USA) Taught engineering and mathematics classes, presented lectures, arranged workshops, participated and organized other act... more 20
- Counselor Example 20
KENYA WALTOWER OBJECTIVETo obtain a position as a High School Counselor where my background in special education, well-rounded classroom experience and training as a school counseling graduate will assist Thomson High School in providing the ne... more