Counselors work with individuals and groups to effect positive change. In order to land a counseling position, your resume should indicate that you possess the abilities, character traits, and training necessary to succeed. Prepare a summary statement and list skills that reflect the requirements of a counselor position. You should also describe any relevant experience and your educational background.
We provide resume writing best practices and an extensive collection of counselor resume templates. Browse these real-world samples for inspiration to write a better resume or personalize one of these layouts to present yourself as a more polished and professional candidate.
Free Community And Public Service Resume Templates for Industry Professionals
Browse templates and job-specific examples of professional community and public service resumes.
How To Mention Your Counselor Experience
The strongest candidates for counselor positions usually have relevant experience. Describe your background and work history in the same terms an employer uses to describe a counseling role in a job description. The words and phrases you choose may significantly impact your professional prospects. Refer to the experience sections on our counselor resume templates and the following sample duties for this career.
• Counsel clients or patients individually or in groups to promote the agenda of a facility or organization
• Perform objective assessments to determine the best approaches for counseling and providing care and support
• Use verbal communication skills to obtain information and recommend paths of action to achieve positive outcomes
• Act as an advocate for clients who may benefit from other services and public or private programs
• Build relationships with clients or patients, and observe developments over time to adjust or refine methods
Counselor Resume Tips
There are several steps you can take to write a better resume for a counselor position. Look over our counselor resume templates and follow these tips to improve the quality of your own document. Every section of your resume should respond to the requirements of the counselor position you want.
1. Personalize Your Counselor Resume: Don’t submit the same resume to every job opening. Make sure that at least the professional summary and skills section of your resume reflect the priorities of a particular employer.
2. Write a Powerful Summary Statement: Hiring managers and recruiters skim each resume for about six seconds before deciding whether an applicant could be right for a job. Show off your qualifications near the top of the page.
3. Use Specific Examples and Experiences: Aim to be as specific as you can when describing your skills and past achievements and responsibilities in your work history. Back up your claims with relevant metrics or statistics.
Counselor Resume Templates
Improve the quality of your resume by comparing your draft with real-world resumes for the same type of position. Reference our counselor resume templates to make sure you include the major sections and information employers expect. You can also build a resume on our partner site, My Perfect Resume.
- Counselor Example 21
– 14 yearsFiling skills to maintain client records. , Experience – 14 yearsAreas of expertiseCounseling, Comptent – 4 yearsExperience LCDC (May 2 2016 – December 7 2016)Cenikor, Waco, Texas, McLenn... more 22
- Counselor Example 22
Helper – Classic Hardwood Designs 01/1/13 – 07/20/15 // Molino (United States) I worked for my father for 3 years building cabinets with him, installing cabinets, and cleaning the shop.Trash Removal/Tear down – Ma... more 23
- Counselor Example 23
Sandip Chavan ienceMarketing Officer, 22/06/2011 – 15/06/2012 IMFS (IndusInd Bank), Nashik, Maharashtra, India Worked within communities to detect and bring new business. Planned, directed, and coordinated risk and insurance progra... more 24
- Counselor Example 24
Sales Executive – ( February 2012 – August 2013) Rak Bank, Dubai Silicon Oasis , Dubai (UAE) Developed and analyzed data to value the current and future financial situation of clients and companies. Advised and managed larg... more 25
- Counselor Example 25
CASH OFFICER – ( 17-05-2004 – 30-04-2016) APS SECURITIAN PVT LMT, Hyderabad, Telangana (India) WORKED AS CASH OFFICER FROM PAST 12 YRSEducationGOVT SCHOOL – 1976 Hyderabad, Telangana, India SSC BOARD, SSC COM... more 26
- Counselor Example 26
Remittance Teller (25/03/2013 – Now)THANEE REMITTANCE, No G10A Wismajaya Building, Jalan Pemancha, Bandar Seri Begawan BS8811, Brunei Darussalam Developed and analyzed data to value the current and future financial situation of ... more 27
- Counselor Example 27
Personal Banker 2 and Brokerage Associate (April 01, 2011 – Current) Wells Fargo Bank, Astoria, OR, United States Analyzed data to value the current and future financial situation of clients. Worked within communities to detect an... more 28
- Counselor Example 28
Direct Support Professional, November 2008 – July 2012 Heartshare, Brooklyn, New York, US Assisted Individuals in dressing, bathing, and grooming self. Accompanied Individuals on trips and clinical visits. Often was trusted to make... more 29
- Counselor Example 29
Freelance Writer/Aspiring Author, 05/2010 – current Self-employed, Port St. Lucie, FL, USA Personal publishing/writerAdministrative/Office Support, 05/2003 – 12/2010 Personnel Plus, Inc., Port St. Lucie, FL, USA Answered... more 30
- Counselor Example 30
Manager (February 2017 – June 2017)Magnet Production Class, Brooklyn, NY, USA Lead students through the hard tedious work to produce a book of poetry for the school Helped with grading and management of production to meet deadli... more