Counselors work with individuals and groups to effect positive change. In order to land a counseling position, your resume should indicate that you possess the abilities, character traits, and training necessary to succeed. Prepare a summary statement and list skills that reflect the requirements of a counselor position. You should also describe any relevant experience and your educational background.
We provide resume writing best practices and an extensive collection of counselor resume templates. Browse these real-world samples for inspiration to write a better resume or personalize one of these layouts to present yourself as a more polished and professional candidate.
Free Community And Public Service Resume Templates for Industry Professionals
Browse templates and job-specific examples of professional community and public service resumes.
How To Mention Your Counselor Experience
The strongest candidates for counselor positions usually have relevant experience. Describe your background and work history in the same terms an employer uses to describe a counseling role in a job description. The words and phrases you choose may significantly impact your professional prospects. Refer to the experience sections on our counselor resume templates and the following sample duties for this career.
• Counsel clients or patients individually or in groups to promote the agenda of a facility or organization
• Perform objective assessments to determine the best approaches for counseling and providing care and support
• Use verbal communication skills to obtain information and recommend paths of action to achieve positive outcomes
• Act as an advocate for clients who may benefit from other services and public or private programs
• Build relationships with clients or patients, and observe developments over time to adjust or refine methods
Counselor Resume Tips
There are several steps you can take to write a better resume for a counselor position. Look over our counselor resume templates and follow these tips to improve the quality of your own document. Every section of your resume should respond to the requirements of the counselor position you want.
1. Personalize Your Counselor Resume: Don’t submit the same resume to every job opening. Make sure that at least the professional summary and skills section of your resume reflect the priorities of a particular employer.
2. Write a Powerful Summary Statement: Hiring managers and recruiters skim each resume for about six seconds before deciding whether an applicant could be right for a job. Show off your qualifications near the top of the page.
3. Use Specific Examples and Experiences: Aim to be as specific as you can when describing your skills and past achievements and responsibilities in your work history. Back up your claims with relevant metrics or statistics.
Counselor Resume Templates
Improve the quality of your resume by comparing your draft with real-world resumes for the same type of position. Reference our counselor resume templates to make sure you include the major sections and information employers expect. You can also build a resume on our partner site, My Perfect Resume.
- Counselor Example 31
Senior Underwriter/Team Lead – ( 2001 – Present) Wells Fargo Bank, Portland, Oregon Analyze real estate secured credit applications. Assess and mitigate risk. Work with loan officers and clients to move approved loans to... more 32
- Counselor Example 32
Intern/Volunteer, January 2014 – Present Family Resource Center, Wytheville, Virginia, USA Arranged youth activities such as field trips, guidance and coaching and drug prevention programs. Established general treatment for clients... more 33
- Counselor Example 33
Applied Behavioral Analysis Therapist – ( May 2015 – Present) Autism Spectrum Mandate Services, Medford, NJ As an ABA therapist I work with autistic children and other patients with developmental issues, in the patientR... more 34
- Counselor Example 34
Senior Consumer Loan Officer (April 2014 – Current) SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union, Tustin, CA Counseled Consumer Loan Underwriters (CLU) on credit analysis in an effort to increase approval and funding ratios. Created a Fundin... more 35
- Counselor Example 35
Mortgage Banker (9/2007 – Present)JP Morgan Chase, Fishers, IN Worked within communities to detect and bring new business. Realized financial and periodic reports required by laws, regulations, and management team. Set up and su... more 36
- Counselor Example 36
xlyn xett Objective I am seeking an opportunity to work in your organization to display my team work and dedication skills as a human service worker. Education Associate, Family and Children Services University of Phoenix, 2014, Visalia, CA... more 37
- Counselor Example 37
sa xrks Technical skills Customer Service, Financial Sales Consultant 15 years Risk Management, Teller, Financial Sales Consultant, Teller Supervisor 15 years Team Building, Teller, Financial Sales Consultant, Teller Supervisor, Choir Direct... more 38
- Counselor Example 38
October 2002 – Present / Professional Project Services, West Monroe, LA Office Manager Perform a varied range of projects within the company from payroll, accounts payable, human resources and contact with multiple vendors. June 19... more 39
- Counselor Example 39
Team Member – ( 07/1998 – 07/2000) Mervyn’s California, Eden Prairie, MN (USA) I started as a regular team member. My job entailed running the cash register, cleaning out fitting rooms and returning merchandise to th... more 40
- Counselor Example 40
Volunteer for GPS Camp Kaleidoscope – Girls Preparatory School (June 2014/June 2015) Chattanooga, Tennessee (USA) I worked as a volunteer for two summers for Camp Kaleidoscope. My job consisted of helping the teachers who were te... more