Counselors work with individuals and groups to effect positive change. In order to land a counseling position, your resume should indicate that you possess the abilities, character traits, and training necessary to succeed. Prepare a summary statement and list skills that reflect the requirements of a counselor position. You should also describe any relevant experience and your educational background.
We provide resume writing best practices and an extensive collection of counselor resume templates. Browse these real-world samples for inspiration to write a better resume or personalize one of these layouts to present yourself as a more polished and professional candidate.
Free Community And Public Service Resume Templates for Industry Professionals
Browse templates and job-specific examples of professional community and public service resumes.
How To Mention Your Counselor Experience
The strongest candidates for counselor positions usually have relevant experience. Describe your background and work history in the same terms an employer uses to describe a counseling role in a job description. The words and phrases you choose may significantly impact your professional prospects. Refer to the experience sections on our counselor resume templates and the following sample duties for this career.
• Counsel clients or patients individually or in groups to promote the agenda of a facility or organization
• Perform objective assessments to determine the best approaches for counseling and providing care and support
• Use verbal communication skills to obtain information and recommend paths of action to achieve positive outcomes
• Act as an advocate for clients who may benefit from other services and public or private programs
• Build relationships with clients or patients, and observe developments over time to adjust or refine methods
Counselor Resume Tips
There are several steps you can take to write a better resume for a counselor position. Look over our counselor resume templates and follow these tips to improve the quality of your own document. Every section of your resume should respond to the requirements of the counselor position you want.
1. Personalize Your Counselor Resume: Don’t submit the same resume to every job opening. Make sure that at least the professional summary and skills section of your resume reflect the priorities of a particular employer.
2. Write a Powerful Summary Statement: Hiring managers and recruiters skim each resume for about six seconds before deciding whether an applicant could be right for a job. Show off your qualifications near the top of the page.
3. Use Specific Examples and Experiences: Aim to be as specific as you can when describing your skills and past achievements and responsibilities in your work history. Back up your claims with relevant metrics or statistics.
Counselor Resume Templates
Improve the quality of your resume by comparing your draft with real-world resumes for the same type of position. Reference our counselor resume templates to make sure you include the major sections and information employers expect. You can also build a resume on our partner site, My Perfect Resume.
- Counselor Example 41
Crew Member (April – 2015 – May – 2015)Checkers, Lake Orion, Michigan, United States Dealt with customer payments. Cleaned freezers and heating equipment. Cleaned the working area and equipment. Prepared and served a... more 42
- Counselor Example 42
Rebecca Zarudsky ms. Education and TrainingBaltimore City Community College – 2017 Baltimore City, Maryland , Baltimore City Allied Human Services , Associates High School DiplomaWork historyRecreational Activites Specialist ... more 43
- Counselor Example 43
Counselor in Training – Denham Springs Addictive Disorders May 2016 – Current // Denham Springs (United States) Provided services and supported individuals under the supervision of the clinical coordinating supervisor. Inte... more 44
- Counselor Example 44
Mortgage Loan Officer – ( 10/01/2015 – Present) Sharonview Federal Credit Union, Greer, SC Conduct member needs assessment to determine proper product/service to best meet those needs. Meet with applicants to obtain inform... more 45
- Counselor Example 45
Limited Real Estate Appraiser – ( 11/1/2012 – Current) Appraisal Associates of Marquette, Marquette, Michigan (United States) Complete Single Family and 1-4 Family Appraisals.Owner – ( 06/01/1992 – Current) ... more 46
- Counselor Example 46
Sarah HoganJob HistoryMember Care Specialist/ Loans Officer – ( 04/2014 – 07/2015) TDECU, Hallettsville, TX * Open new memberships including assistance with online banking, new loans, and any other new account information. * ... more 47
- Counselor Example 47
RECOVERY ANANYZER – ( 01 APRIL 2014 – TILL DATE) DEBT SOLUATION, SILIGURI, WEST BENGAL (India) Developed and analyzed data to value the current and future financial situation of clients and companies. Realized financial and... more 48
- Counselor Example 48
Adrian Johnson LanguagesEnglish and Spanish, Fluent: I am a fluent English speaker and have been learning Spanish for the past few yearsObjective My main objective to learn as many skills as possible so in the future my choice of work can b... more 49
- Counselor Example 49
Mortgage Loan Officer – ( 04/2013 – Present) US Bank, Yorba Linda, CA (USA) Originate residential mortgages for 1st and 2nd mortgages. CONV,FHA, VA and HELOC products Construction and Lot loan CertifiedMortgage Loan O... more 50
- Counselor Example 50
Summerside United Soccer CLub , Summerside, Prince Edward Island (Canada) Under 8 Soccer Coach, Summer 2012 – Summer 2013 Creating exciting soccer drills for young athletes to improve skills and encourage an active lifestyle. Sup... more