Counselors work with individuals and groups to effect positive change. In order to land a counseling position, your resume should indicate that you possess the abilities, character traits, and training necessary to succeed. Prepare a summary statement and list skills that reflect the requirements of a counselor position. You should also describe any relevant experience and your educational background.
We provide resume writing best practices and an extensive collection of counselor resume templates. Browse these real-world samples for inspiration to write a better resume or personalize one of these layouts to present yourself as a more polished and professional candidate.
Free Community And Public Service Resume Templates for Industry Professionals
Browse templates and job-specific examples of professional community and public service resumes.
How To Mention Your Counselor Experience
The strongest candidates for counselor positions usually have relevant experience. Describe your background and work history in the same terms an employer uses to describe a counseling role in a job description. The words and phrases you choose may significantly impact your professional prospects. Refer to the experience sections on our counselor resume templates and the following sample duties for this career.
• Counsel clients or patients individually or in groups to promote the agenda of a facility or organization
• Perform objective assessments to determine the best approaches for counseling and providing care and support
• Use verbal communication skills to obtain information and recommend paths of action to achieve positive outcomes
• Act as an advocate for clients who may benefit from other services and public or private programs
• Build relationships with clients or patients, and observe developments over time to adjust or refine methods
Counselor Resume Tips
There are several steps you can take to write a better resume for a counselor position. Look over our counselor resume templates and follow these tips to improve the quality of your own document. Every section of your resume should respond to the requirements of the counselor position you want.
1. Personalize Your Counselor Resume: Don’t submit the same resume to every job opening. Make sure that at least the professional summary and skills section of your resume reflect the priorities of a particular employer.
2. Write a Powerful Summary Statement: Hiring managers and recruiters skim each resume for about six seconds before deciding whether an applicant could be right for a job. Show off your qualifications near the top of the page.
3. Use Specific Examples and Experiences: Aim to be as specific as you can when describing your skills and past achievements and responsibilities in your work history. Back up your claims with relevant metrics or statistics.
Counselor Resume Templates
Improve the quality of your resume by comparing your draft with real-world resumes for the same type of position. Reference our counselor resume templates to make sure you include the major sections and information employers expect. You can also build a resume on our partner site, My Perfect Resume.
- Counselor Example 51
Loan Officer Assistant (07/2015 – current)Banc of California, San Francisco, CA, USA Realized financial and periodic reports required by laws, regulations, and management team. Set and achieved targets Kept quality and procedura... more 52
- Counselor Example 52
Organizational Performance Coordinator (03/2010 – present)Marengo Memorial Hospital, Marengo, IA, U.S. -Coordinate all Medical Staff credentialing functions. -Coordinate all Medical Staff sub committee meetings -Complile agenda,... more 53
- Counselor Example 53
father (9/28/90 – ongoing)family, Rockford, MI, USA Arranged youth activities such as field trips, guidance and coaching and drug prevention programs. Established general treatment for clients. Found resources that would help to... more 54
- Counselor Example 54
Personal Financial Counselor – ( March 2008 – June 2010) US Army, Fort Bragg, Fort Bragg, North Carolina (USA) Evaluated information related to costs to plan budgets. Created and established repayment methods with clients t... more 55
- Counselor Example 55
Flow Team Member, October 2013 – May 2015 Target, Eureka, California, United States Organized items, controlled inventory and cleaned the store. Designed and arranged the store displays in the most attractive way for guests. Use e... more 56
- Counselor Example 56
Thrif Pharma, Udaipur, Rajasthan (India) Medical Reprasntative, May 2009 – March 2010 Advised customers on medications. Provided information about drugs, especially about dosing and therapy. Processed prescriptions from Veterinari... more 57
- Counselor Example 57
Consumer Loan Specialist , September 4, 2014 – June 19, 2015 Sun Loan Company & Tax Service , Dalhart , Texas, United States Developed and analyzed data to value the current and future financial situation of clients. Evaluate... more 58
- Counselor Example 58
Indirect Loan Officer, 12/2013 – Present L.A. Financial Credit Union, Pasadena, CA * Monitor and underwrite indirect lending queue * Build dealership relationship with indirect lending applications * Support indirect dealer repr... more 59
- Counselor Example 59
Loan Originator / Processor (04/2012 – Present) 1st United Home Loans LLC, Miami, FL, USA Process and originate loans Loan Originator / Processor (01/2005 – 12/2009) Equity Financial, Coral Gables, FL, USA Processed and O... more 60
- Counselor Example 60
Infantry Sergeant – ( 09/1987 – 06/1997) US Army, Ft Benning, Ga Responsible for daily activity of soldiers. As an instructor I taught class on pistol/rifle marksmanship and map reading/land navigation.Customer Service... more