An outstanding resume can make all the difference when applying for educational and vocational counseling jobs. In order to get hired for a position in these fields, you must show employers that you possess the background necessary to advise others about their own personal and professional development.
Check out our advice on describing your experience and writing a more effective resume for a counseling position. If you want to see real-world examples, check out our collection of educational and vocational counseling resume templates. Get ideas for preparing your own document or use one of these templates to produce a professional resume in minutes.
Free Community And Public Service Resume Templates for Industry Professionals
Browse templates and job-specific examples of professional community and public service resumes.
How To Mention Your Educational and Vocational Counseling Experience
Describe your experience for an educational and vocational counseling position in ways that reinforce your qualifications. Employers want to see how applicants excelled in previous roles with relevant responsibilities. Use action words and the same keywords and phrases that appear in the description of the position you are seeking. Refer to our educational and vocational counseling resume templates to see experience sections in the context of real-world resumes.
• Counsel individuals on achieving their educational or occupational goals, and provide support throughout the process
• Evaluate clients to identify inclinations and the best approaches for cultivating and supporting personal development
• Meet with parents, guardians, educators, or recruiters to communicate client progress and identify priorities for counseling and individual advancement
• Prepare reports or references for clients and institutional purposes, or refer clients to appropriate employers or vocational services
• Conduct follow-up consultations with counselees to determine efficacy of counseling programs and identify areas for improvement
Educational and Vocational Counseling Resume Tips
Jobseekers preparing to apply for educational and vocational counseling positions should customize their resumes for each job opening. Learn about the general requirements for a resume in this field from our educational and vocational counseling resume templates, and then make several small adjustments to present yourself as an exceptional candidate.
1. Personalize Your Educational and Vocational Counseling Resume:
Customize any section of your resume by identifying keywords in the description of the job you want. Try to include this language in your summary statement, skills, and experience sections.
2. Write a Powerful Summary Statement:
The summary statement is the first section employers skim. Make the most of the limited amount of time they can spend on your resume by bringing up your major qualifications.
3. Use Specific Examples and Experiences:
Make your resume stand out and give employers a reason to remember you by being specific. Try to bring up significant and memorable points, and rely on metrics whenever possible.