While it can be tempting to show off your mathematical skills in your resume, you actually need to focus on proving to the hiring manager that you can effectively complete the job's requirements. This means you need to curate your content carefully and hone your language to make your point perfectly.
We have several tools to show you exactly how to format, organize, and write your document, including an array of mathematics and statistics resume templates. Use these and our expert tips to craft a resume that's ready to impress employers and get you on the short list for an interview.
Free Science Resume Templates for Industry Professionals
Browse templates and job-specific examples of professional science resumes.
How To Mention Your Mathematics and Statistics Experience
As shown in our mathematics and statistics resume templates, your document needs to use the right language to describe your qualifications. This means removing the wrong terms and replacing them with strong, descriptive action words. You can also get better results by utilizing language from the job description. Here are some additional examples:
• Analyze numerical data and apply various statistical models and calculations to develop accurate conclusions and answer requests for information
• Utilize computer software and modeling tools to assist in displaying, manipulating, and analyzing mathematical data
• Develop statistical models of numerical data sets to display phenomena, extrapolate conclusions, and simulate events according to project requirements
• Communicate with other statisticians, engineers, mathematicians, and senior managers to verify project objectives and reach accurate conclusions
• Maintain current knowledge of the mathematics and statistics industry by reading and contributing to professional journals
Mathematics and Statistics Resume Tips
If writing your resume seems intimidating, you can solve the problem using simple, logical steps. First, get an idea of the proper formatting to use and qualifications to include by studying our mathematics and statistics resume templates. Then, create your own first draft. Finally, fine-tune your writing using these tried-and-true tips:
1. Personalize Your Mathematics and Statistics Resume: Resist the temptation to submit the same resume to each job posting. Instead, tailor your document to match the specific requirements of each job listing.
2. Write a Powerful Summary Statement: You probably only have a few seconds to make your case to a reader. Start your document off right with a confident pitch of your most relevant and impressive qualifications.
3. Use Specific Examples and Experiences: Don't get bogged down describing the minutiae of your daily tasks in previous jobs. Instead, craft powerful phrases that describe how your work facilitated positive, measurable results.