Before you start writing, study the civil engineer resume sample included here. You can see how to format each of the sections to ensure readability and draw attention to your unique accomplishments. You’ll also get a feel for what sort of information you should include in your own document. We’ve also provided several civil engineering resume writing tips so you can make sure your final draft is ready to impress.
Civil Engineer Resume Sample
Fort Collins, CO 11111 • [email protected] • 555-352-2837
Expert civil engineer passionate about innovation. Strong design and drafting skills to actively participate in every step of construction life cycle. Exceptional team leadership skills with proven record of creating forward-thinking sustainable designs.
- Expert proficiency with AutoCAD, ArcGIS, ArcVIEW, Microsoft Project, and MATLAB
- Strong analysis and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated to work without direct supervision
- Excellent communication and teamwork abilities
- Working knowledge of construction life cycle
- Strong project management to ensure client satisfaction
- Experience completing design blueprints, change orders, and environmental impact studies
- Lead senior design team of five engineers and one drafter to oversee multimillion-dollar projects for top clients
- Serve as expert point of contact for clients, designers, project managers, construction foreman, and building permit oversight committee
- Review design plans and CAD models to ensure structural soundness, adherence to client requirements, and compliance with building codes
- Analyze proposed design changes for feasibility
- Designed and incorporated company-wide sustainable design initiative, earning $30 million contract for state government building upgrades
Assistant Civil Engineer – Smith and Sons Design, Inc.
- Collaborated with senior civil and architectural engineers to complete design and construction projects
- Worked closely with surveying professionals to complete initial plot maps and environmental impact studies
- Incorporated initial and updated design details into physical documents, digital plans, and 3D models
- Communicated with clients to present project updates and accept feedback and change requests
- Won Colorado Green Building Initiative Design Award in 2013 for sustainable upgrades to city government building
Architectural Drafter – Golden Triangle Construction
- Utilized CAD programs to create detailed blueprints and digital models of civil and architectural designs
- Assisted engineers during bidding process by incorporating initial designs into presentation materials for clients
- Participated in engineer/client meetings throughout construction to quickly draft or model change orders and present different aesthetic designs
- Reviewed blueprints, floor plans, and section drawing for accuracy and completeness
- Received positive feedback from all engineers, earning annual review rating in top 5% of company
Autodesk Design Academy, Colorado
Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering – 2010
Regis University, Colorado
Write a Professional Resume Now!
Is This a Good Civil Engineer Resume? Let’s Check
Yes. The candidate mentions his commitment to sustainable designs in his Summary. He then backs up this claim through the rest of the resume, mentioning familiarity with environmental impact studies in the skills section. He also includes several career accomplishments in his work experience section, such as the Green Building Design Initiative Award.
Designing structures and creating manual drawings, CAD blueprints, and 3D models are required skills for civil engineers. This civil engineer resume sample ensures the reader knows this candidate is familiar with industry-standard computer drafting programs and the fundamentals of design. The career progression shown in the work experience includes the candidate’s time as a drafter. He also lists his Autodesk certification in the education section, so the reader has plenty of evidence of his industry-required skills.
The candidate includes engineering-specific details in his resume, such as analysis skills, familiarity with the construction life cycle, and proficiency with CAD programs. However, he doesn’t fill the resume with industry jargon that only another engineer could comprehend. This is proof of his ability to discuss technical concepts in a way that non-engineers can understand. He also includes some examples of his successful interactions with engineers, clients, and construction personnel.
Yes. This civil engineer resume sample touches on all these important areas of the job. As an assistant engineer, the candidate worked with surveying professionals to create accurate maps and study the potential environmental impact of designs. In his current position, he reviews plans for structural soundness. The resume also includes several instances of working with clients to ensure aesthetic features meet project requirements.
Having a resume with all the right information doesn’t do any good if the data isn’t presented in a format that a hiring manager can easily read and understand. This resume has a concise format that clearly delineates each section and doesn’t distract with wild fonts or too much white space. Additionally, bullet points draw attention to important details so the reader gets all the necessary information in just a quick perusal.