By following our example, you can learn how to write a concise yet friendly summary, organize your work experience appropriately, and what types of skills you might consider for inclusion. Take notice of the proper formatting and layout. We also provide industry specific writing tips to enhance your resume and add a bit of polish and shine. If you’re ready to take your job search to the next level, put on your game face and let’s get started.
Basketball Coach Resume Sample
Tyler, TX 11111 • [email protected] • 555-354-8675
Enthusiastic and energetic basketball coach who loves teaching the game as much as playing the game. Excellent with students of all ages, backgrounds, and levels of ability. Improves programs by increasing skills and confidence with a solid record of winning seasons.
- Outstanding knowledge of rules, regulations, technique, and equipment of basketball
- Natural leadership ability and good role model
- Able to pass all background checks and clearances
- Excellent time-management skills
- Ability to remain calm and collected under extreme duress
- Basic first aid skills and injury assessment
- Strong work ethic, willing to go the extra mile to achieve success
Tyler State University, TX
- Supervise athletes during practices and games
- Teach, coach, guide, and develop student athletes
- Schedule and organize practices and games in compliance with NCAA guidelines
- Attend camps and other sporting events to recruit players
- Transport athletes to and from games and conferences
- Implemented a passing drill that improved passing game by 23% in competition
Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach, June 2011 – May 2015
Northeast Community College, Norfolk, NE
- Assisted head men’s basketball coach in drills and exercises at practices
- Ensured NJCAA compliance with all recruiting activities
- Maintained the team roster and coordinated travel plans for away games and conferences
- Modeled good sportsmanship at all times, provided student athletes with counseling as needed
- Took the team to the Sweet Sixteen of the NJCAA basketball finals in 2012 and 2014, advancing to the final four in 2014
Men’s Basketball Coach, August 2009 – June 2015
Success Charter High School, Broken Arrow, OK
- Created a new men’s basketball program from the ground up
- Applied for and acquired funding from the county and state to purchase equipment and uniforms
- Taught skills, rules, and regulations to boys aged 14-18
- Managed the budget and maintained spending records
- Instilled values of compassion, fair play, team spirit, respect, modesty, and individuality in student athletes
- Grew the program from zero to 45 participating students in six years
Kansas State University
Magna cum laude
Associate of Science in Sports Training, 2007
Lincoln Community College, NE
Write a Professional Resume Now!
Is This a Good Basketball Coach Resume? Let’s Check
Absolutely. This candidate’s work history shows a clear progression of growth and achievement throughout his career. He began as a high school coach, building a basketball program from scratch. He then became an assistant coach at a community college. His most recent job experience is as a coach at a state college, with all the responsibilities and oversight that entails. This jobseeker is ready to move further up the career ladder.
The summary section makes it clear this is a coach who cares about more than just winning the game. Words like “enthusiastic” and “energetic” indicate a passion for the sport. His concern is for increasing player confidence. Also, he has successful experience working with many different ages, an asset to basketball programs that provide summer camps or other recruiting experiences.
Affirmative. This jobseeker has performed just about every task you could ask from a coach. He has obtained funding for his teams, organized schedules, arranged transportation, and conducted practices and drills. He clearly understands the importance of NJCAA and NCAA guidelines and follows them. In addition to the above, he knows basketball offers several lessons used both on and off the court and has taught his students how to be good sportsmen by modeling correct behavior.
The jobseeker has been meticulous in the outlining of this resume. Notice the bold section headers and bullet points. Each statement in the work experience begins with an action word. This helps future employers visualize the work you performed. The work and the education are in reverse chronological order, with the most recent experience first. Hiring managers are sure to love that they can take in the important information on this resume at a glance.
This example lists both hard and soft skills, which is a great idea for your resume. Hard skill requirements for the job include knowledge of how to play basketball. Soft skills, such as remaining calm under stress and leadership ability, are the extra cherry on the top that set the candidate apart from other jobseekers. A good mixture of both hard and soft skills gives employers a better idea of who you are and how you work.