A good place to begin is to review an example, such as our nurse resume sample. This provides you with a model against which to compare your own document and determine where it might need work. You also discover ways to effectively impart your previous experience and education while staying within industry standards and adhering to best practices.
After looking at an example of a stellar resume, you might find that you need more guidance for how to craft your own. Our writing tips accompanying our resume sample provide additional help for writing your own resume.
Nurse Resume Sample
Westminster, CA 11111 • [email protected] • 555-555-9240
Seasoned registered nurse with 10 years of experience assisting patients in hospital and private practice settings. Compassionate caregiver providing enhanced patient care in a variety of situations, including an emergency room, ICU, and general practice. Dedicated team player with strong leadership skills and a history of taking on supervisory responsibilities.
- Patient care
- Functional medicine
- IV management
- HIPAA compliance
- Administration of medication
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- First aid, CPR, and AED certified
- Fluent in Spanish
St. Mary’s Hospital, Costa Mesa, CA
- Administer prescribed medications to patients, assess for adverse events, and communicate effects to physicians
- Monitor patient health in a busy emergency room department with 25 beds, alerting physicians of adverse changes and providing emergency care as needed
- Communicate with patients, family members, and social workers regarding treatment protocols and disease education
- Prepare patients for surgery, examinations, lab testing, and other procedures the medical staff recommend
- Train new nursing staff on departmental procedures.
Dr. Kennedy Medical Practice, Westminster, CA
- Discussed patient care with physician and other medical staff to prepare appropriate treatment plans
- Prepared patients for their visit with the doctor using proper intake procedure and input the data into the patient chart
- Assisted in a research project on the impact of lifestyle changes on prevention of heart disease
- Ordered diagnostic tests the doctor recommended and discussed findings with patients
- Assisted with monthly community education talks on preventative health issues that led to a 20% decrease in diabetes
St. Jerome’s Hospital, Irvine, CA
- Check patient vitals and administer medication in an ICU department with 20 beds
- Awarded Best Nurse for Patient Care based on patient satisfaction surveys and patient results
- Assisted medical staff performing minor surgical procedures to enhance patient health and increase recovery time
- Developed protocols for nursing staff based on physician recommendations that led to a 10% increase in patient satisfaction
- Executed routine lab testing to track patient health and ensure medication and treatments performed as expected
University of California, Irvine
Graduated cum laude
RN License, 2007
California Board of Registered Nursing
Write a Professional Resume Now!
Is This a Good Nurse Resume? Let’s Check
Yes, it does! It lists the jobseekers‘ bachelor’s degree, which is generally required to become a registered nurse. Additionally, it lists that she has a license in the state in which she is practicing. This makes it easy for hiring managers to quickly recognize that she has the right education and training for an RN compared to other designations of nurses, such as an LVN.
Affirmative. There are many necessary skills for an RN, and the jobseeker demonstrates she has them all. In the skills section, she lists some essential technical skills for patient health, such as IV management and medication administration, and she also lists soft skills that play a key role in patient care, such as communication and problem-solving. The work experience section also showcases critical skills, such as performing routine lab tests and educating patients.
Absolutely! The nurse resume sample includes references to the size of practices in which the jobseeker has experience, such as the 25-bed emergency room and 20-bed ICU. She also includes an award she received in one of her positions that demonstrates her skill in patient care. Furthermore, she includes statistics on ways in which her actions assisted in preventing chronic illness.
You bet it is! The nurse incorporates bullet points throughout the nurse resume sample to create a simple and easy-to-skim document. She focuses her work experience on the five to eight most important duties and accomplishments. Additionally, she opens the document with a Summary that acts as a marketing pitch to impart her skills and experience, including that she has 10 years of experience and is a compassionate caregiver.
It sure does! There are several examples throughout the resume that impart her ability to perform these basic procedures. In all three previous employments in her work experience section, she includes duties associated with performing lab work and administering medication without repeating herself. She also includes IV management and medication administration in her skill section.