Becoming an optometrist requires a doctoral degree, but even with the right education, applicants still need to submit stellar resumes. You can find a plethora of amazing optometry resume templates on the website suitable for candidates at all kinds of experience levels.
You need to make some strategic edits to your resume so that your application can go from "good" to "great." The best part is that making these edits will only take a few minutes once you review other people’s resumes and read through these beneficial tips. This is the easiest way to become a stronger resume writer.
Free Healthcare Resume Templates for Industry Professionals
Browse templates and job-specific examples of professional healthcare resumes.
How To Mention Your Optometry Experience
The work history section will be the longest part of your submission. Therefore, you need to use a variety of action verbs as you describe each individual experience. This will prevent your resume from becoming boring, and you can get a sense of what verbs are good to use by reviewing the optometry resume templates. Here are some examples of experience optometrists need to have.
• Examine patients’ eyes to discover abnormalities, such as glaucoma, and determine each patient’s visual acuity
• Prescribe medications as permitted by state law to treat eye diseases
• Supply, adjust, and fit contact lenses, eyeglasses, and any other instruments to help with vision
• Provide patients with pre- and post-operative care for eye surgeries, including laser vision correction
• Educate patients on how to care for their eyes and protect lenses and glasses
Optometry Resume Tips
There are certain things virtually all hiring managers look for in resumes. You will find these criteria in the optometry resume templates you review, and it is a highly advantageous idea to incorporate them into your own application to make a better impression.
1. Personalize Your Optometry Resume: You do not want to send the exact same resume to each individual job opening. Instead, you want to review each job listing and see if the hiring manager emphasized the need for certain skills, which you will want to focus on.
2. Write a Powerful Summary Statement: A surprising number of hiring managers only spend roughly six seconds reviewing a resume before deciding whether to throw it away. Therefore, you want to ensure the summary statement at the top of the page is solid.
3. Use Specific Examples and Experiences: Your resume will not stand out if you do not include information relevant only to you. Provide insight into your experiences by telling stories and offering quantifiable facts.
Optometry Resume Templates
Our users have uploaded numerous optometry resume templates. You will certainly find some relevant to your skill level you can base your own application around.
Another tool at your disposal comes from our partners at My Perfect Resume. You can receive section-by-section pointers to feel completely confident in your application.
- Optometry Example 1
xbutcher Objective My objective is to gain long term employment with a reputable company to start my career. I will be able to help reach and exceed all goals of the company by being fresh into the field as a coach-able employee. Work hist... more 2
- Optometry Example 2
Sole practitioner/Owner (July 1979 – May 1987)Mark E. Bernthal, O.D., St. Clair Shores, Michigan, United States Acquired an existing optometric practice following graduation from Illinois College of Optometry. Managed practice a... more 3
- Optometry Example 3
Kadie Achterberg Education and TrainingNorthcentral Technical College – Current student Wausau, WI, USA Healthcare, Medical Office Specialist Third semester student at Northcentral Technical College, studying Medical Office Specialist.... more 4
- Optometry Example 4
Michael Kingery Objective Freshman at Marshall University. Studying Biological Sciences. Interested in finding a part time job to help in financing school and to learn valuable work skills. Education and TrainingSymmes Valley High School R... more 5
- Optometry Example 5
Lead Lab Technician – ( 1/2/1989 – Current) Visionworks (ECCA), Salem, OR (USA) Fabricated lenses to conform to prescribed tolerances. Operated, maintained, and repaired lab equipment for a full service lab. Managed emplo... more 6
- Optometry Example 6
Oculoplastic Ophthalmologist Technician (09/2012 – Current) Grene Vision Group, Wichita, Ks While working for Dr. Samuel Amstutz I did basic patient work ups; add ocular complaints, check visual acuites, intraocular pressure, and ... more 7
- Optometry Example 7
Staff nurse position (April 2012 – Jun 2014)Singapore National Eye Centre, Singapore, Singapore, Singapore Help in checking the vision of patients and dilating of pupils Assist doctors in consultationPaedatric staff nurse i... more 8
- Optometry Example 8
Front Desk/Pretest, March 2016 – November 2016 Clarkson Eyecare, Union, Missouri (United States) Tended to 30-40 patients a day. Worked side-by-side with Optometrist as a personal assistant. Determined visual acuity and set up exam... more 9
- Optometry Example 9
xnie ck SkillsJournalism ( high school paper), Editor in chief – 4 yearsWork History Optician (2007 – Present)New Haven Optical LLC, New Haven, IN, United States Kept up to date case histories of patients. Dealt with acco... more 10
- Optometry Example 10
Optical Assistant (01/05/2010 – 01/07/2012)Eyesave, Atlantis, Atlantis Reception Duties Confirming Medical Aid Benefits Debtors Ordering Spectacles Goods receiving Repairs on spectaclesOptical Assistant (01/07/2012 – C... more