If you are not sure where to start, consult a resume sample. A proven example resume can show proper formatting as well as suggest the most important professional skills in your field. It will be a good source of ideas and inspiration as you write your own.
Take a look at our secretary resume sample as you begin compiling your own professional document. It is also helpful to consult the custom resume writing tips as you work. This is an excellent first step toward making a great impression on your hiring managers and may help you land the job you want.
Secretary Resume Sample
Degreed administrative professional with five years’ experience as secretary to public school superintendent. Proven proficiency in IT and customer service support in a fast-paced environment. Highly detail-oriented with superior ability to multi-task, prioritize, and organize.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite
- Loyal, competent executive and administrative support
- Engaging customer relations
- Efficient, user-friendly organization of schedules and spaces
- Experienced payroll professional
- Efficient, friendly single point of contact for multiple departments
Secretary to Superintendent of Schools · August 2012 – June 2017
- Developed and maintained database of student IEP spreadsheets, programming the Excel files to produce automatic quarterly reports for principles, parents, teachers, and school systems
- Scheduled quarterly teacher in-service trainings and arranged all details
- Managed the calendars of the superintendent and the schedules of multi-office staff
- Scheduled IEP meetings with superintendent, principles, teachers, counselors, parents, medical professionals, and students
- Maintained strict confidentiality of information, including HIPAA information
Administrative Assistant · May 2010 – July 2012
- Operated reception desk, greeted and informed guests, took inbound calls, and managed information and files
- Planned company events in every detail from arranging accommodations for the speaker to publishing training manuals
- Created meeting agendas, maintained minutes, and delivered follow-up communications to participants
- Maintained organized, detailed filing for multiple users
- Ran Medicare compliance reports using LEWIS system
- Prepared payroll for 5 months in the absence of a Human Resources professional
IT Support & Customer Service · March 2009 – May 2010
- Investigated and solved system and equipment problems
- Recorded problems and solutions to improve customer service and efficiency
- Earned corporate award for implementing a programming change that saves the company thousands of dollars annually
- Retrieved and analyzed system reports to ascertain optimal system functioning of store mainframes
- Responded positively to customer requests for assistance
Danville Public Library
Circulation Desk Assistant · January 2008 – March 2009
- Operated circulation desk
- Researched and replied to research questions
- Checked in and shelved books according to Dewy Decimal system
- Assisted patrons in finding books and requested resources
- Provided technical support for users of the virtual library
Bachelor of Arts · Journalism · 2009
Danville Area Community College · Danville, IL
Associate of Applied Science · Computer Science · 2007
Write a Professional Resume Now!
Is This a Good Secretary Resume? Let’s Check
Yes. In fact, the summary statement first mentions the applicant’s multi-tasking ability, and the skills and work experience details elaborate on the numerous simultaneous responsibilities this applicant has handled well. From designing IEP reports for an entire school district while planning teacher in-service trainings at Danville Public Schools to operating the reception desk while running compliance reports at Rainbow Home Health, this document really draws attention to one of the most important skills secretarial workers can cultivate – multi-tasking.
Creating or preparing reports is high on the list of desirable skills for secretaries. It’s one of the main ways they communicate a lot of information in a concise format. This applicant named the specific types of reports she has worked on, which also demonstrates her versatility. This applicant has created specific reports with an IEP database, used the LEWIS medical compliance reports, and analyzed store mainframe reports for a corporate IT center.
Secretaries must possess a specific skill set, usually including office work, customer care, administrative support, and organizational skills. This applicant wisely uses the skills section to showcase her best professional achievement in each of these areas as well as a couple other relevant and valuable skills. She condensed her office skills into “proficient in MS Office Suite” while her organizational skills shine through with “efficient, user-friendly organization of schedules and spaces.”
It absolutely does. Companies and schools have trusted this applicant with legally protected health and education information. She has planned company events and ensured comfortable accommodations for honored speakers. Nearly every line of the work experience of the secretary resume sample shows how trustworthy she was with the responsibilities in her care.
This applicant has received more than sufficient education for the role she seeks. She not only has earned a bachelor’s degree in a language arts field, but she has also earned a two-year degree in computer science. This will give her an edge over the competition.