The busy residents of a city go about their days without realizing the impact that civil engineers have on their safety, their daily commutes, and many other factors in their lives. As a civil engineer, you understand how important the behind-the-scenes planning is for the people living and working in your area.
Your resume has a similar role; with careful planning and the right details, your professional document can impact your job opportunities and satisfaction. It must quickly focus attention on your best abilities and provide real-world examples of your achievements. Use our civil engineer resume templates as a starting point.
Free Engineering Resume Templates for Industry Professionals
Browse templates and job-specific examples of professional engineering resumes.
How To Mention Your Civil Engineer Experience
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for civil engineers is good, with faster-than-average growth in all related occupations. This is good news for job applicants, but it doesn't mean you can let a poorly-worded resume slide. Our civil engineer resume templates provide strong examples of work responsibilities and experiences, using a variety of action verbs and specific descriptors from job ads.
• Test soil composition for its ability to support asphalt, concrete, and steel foundations; compute load/grade requirements to adjust design specifications
• Supervise technical staff to promote efficient completion of projects and guarantee client satisfaction, resolving issues as they arise
• Plan public transportation systems using complex design software and related drawing tools; prepare cost estimates for projects
• Prepare engineering computations, designs, and surveys, producing technical specifications and data sheets with a focus on precision and accuracy
• Report daily progress, logging work hours and rate of project completion; file detailed public reports, such as environmental impact statements
Civil Engineer Resume Tips
After referring to our civil engineer resume templates and formatting your own resume, boost the impact of the document with strategic changes and thoughtful word choices. Use the following tips from professionals to increase the chances that recruiters will home in on your most important skills.
1. Personalize Your Civil Engineer Resume:
You may keep an updated resume on hand to take advantage of career opportunities as they appear, but tailor each document to specific job openings. Use words and phrases directly from the listing as you describe your experiences.
2. Write a Powerful Summary Statement:
Most hiring professionals spend just a few seconds on each resume that crosses their desks. Start off with a strong statement describing your top skills and qualifications for the position.
3. Use Specific Examples and Experiences:
List your personal and professional successes, making note of those that relate to the job requirements and those that demonstrate your ability to excel in the position. Increase the impact of these examples with measurable results.